SELECT TOP X -- part 2 -- parse error?

От Justin Long
Тема SELECT TOP X -- part 2 -- parse error?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Thanks for the answers. I downloaded and installed PG5... now I have a new
problem. I can't seem to access any documentation on the syntax of the new
additions to PG5, and I'm getting a parse error with the following command
SELECT * FROM database LIMIT 5

It says
parse error at or near "5"

Also PSQL seems to still say 6.4.2 and have all the 6.4.2 functions
described in its help files. Is this indicative of a bad install? Everything
I saw appeared to indicate PG5 had installed properly and this parse error
leads me to think it is trying to interpret the LIMIT command but is having
problems with syntax.

Justin

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pgsql-sql@postgreSQL.org
[mailto:owner-pgsql-sql@postgreSQL.org] On Behalf Of Justin Long
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 1999 10:33 AM
To: pgsql-sql@hub.org
Subject: [SQL] SELECT TOP _x_ ??

In Microsoft SQL Server you could issue a command
SELECT TOP 5 * FROM database...

The top 5 indicator would mean to take the top 5 records that matched the
criteria. I can't seem to find any way to do this in PostgreSQL. I have a
database of 385 records (which will grow rapidly over the next few months)
and it takes better than 5 seconds to SELECT from the 385 and then use a
while loop to display the top 4. I can't imagine what it will be like when
we reach, say, 10,000 records! So any suggestions for selecting just the top
5 and speeding the process up a bit?

Any responses will be greatly appreciated. Respond here or to
JustinLong@strategicnetwork.org ...

Never retreat. Never surrender. Never cut a deal with a dragon.
Justin Long                   CIO / Site Editor
616 Station Square Ct         Network for Strategic Missions
Chesapeake, VA 23320          977 Centerville Trnpk CSB 317
JustinLong@xc.org             Va Beach, VA 23463
Check out our site at:        http://www.strategicnetwork.org

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: Brook Milligan
Сообщение: Re: [SQL] Finding the "most recent" rows
От: Christophe Labouisse
Сообщение: Index on date_trunc