Re: Hardware Recommendations

От Steve Wolfe
Тема Re: Hardware Recommendations
Дата
Список pgsql-general
>     I respectfully disagree with Steve's "disk speed isn't terribly
> important" -- it can be (and is totally dependent on what you're doing)
and
> since you have the on-board U160 with all the dual Athlon boards I've
seen,
> you might as well take full advantage of it.. That and you know Seagate
has
> those new 15,000 RPM U160 drives out *evil grin*..

  You can't take advantage of U160 without at *least* three disks. ; )

  If you have enough RAM for the cache, and you're not using fsync(), then
an insert/update doesn't actually hit the disk, it just returns.  The
kernel can update the disk later at it's leisure.  I'm not sorry that I
spent all of the money for the large array that I use, it provides
redundancy that lets me sleep easier - but I can guarantee that I'm not
using 1/100th of it's potential as far as write capabilities.

steve

От: Joseph Shraibman
Сообщение: Re: postgres deadlocks
От: missive@frontiernet.net (Lee Harr)
Сообщение: Re: Compile problem on fBSD 4.3