Re: why the DB file size does not reduce when 'delete'the data in DB?

От xuyifeng
Тема Re: why the DB file size does not reduce when 'delete'the data in DB?
Дата
Re: [SQL] Re: why the DB file size does not reduce when 'delete'the data in DB?
Список pgsql-hackers
----- Original Message -----
From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To: Jaruwan Laongmal <jaruwan@gits.net.th>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org>; <pgsql-sql@postgresql.org>
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2001 8:04 PM
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] why the DB file size does not reduce when 'delete'the data in DB?

> On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Jaruwan Laongmal wrote:
>
> > I had deleted a very large number of records out of my SQL table in order to
> > decrease the harddisk space.  But after I use command 'ls -l
> > /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/', it is found that the size of concerning files
> > do not reduce due to the effect of 'delete' SQL command.  What should I do
> > if I would like to decrease the harddisk space?
>
> VACUUM

could anyone remove this nasty bug in 7.2? this is already a big pain and is the reason
why am I still using MySQL in my product server. another nasty thing is it does not
allow me to reference table in another database.  sigh.

Regards,
XuYifeng

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: [CORE] WAL & RC1 status
От: The Hermit Hacker
Сообщение: Re: why the DB file size does not reduce when 'delete'the data in DB?