Re: Big number of connections

От Mike Sofen
Тема Re: Big number of connections
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
From: Jim Nasby Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2016 10:19 AM

>>On 4/1/16 2:54 AM, jarek wrote:
>> I'll be happy to hear form users of big PostgreSQL installations, how
>> many users do you have and what kind of problems we may expect.
>> Is there any risk, that huge number of roles will slowdown overall
>> performance ?

>Assuming you're on decent sized hardware though, 3000-4000 open connections shouldn't be much of an >issue *as long as
veryfew are active at once*. If you get into a situation where there's a surge of activity >and you suddenly have 2x
moreactive connections than cores, you won't be happy. I've seen that push >servers into a state where the only way to
recoverwas to disconnect everyone.
>--
>Jim Nasby

Jim - I don't quite understand the math here: on a server with 20 cores, it can only support 40 active users?

I come from the SQL Server world where a single 20 core server could support hundreds/thousands of active users and/or
manydozens of background/foreground data processes.  Is there something fundamentally different between the two
platformsrelative to active user loads?  How would we be able to use Postgres for larger web apps?

Mike Sofen

От: Jim Nasby
Сообщение: Re: Big number of connections
От: Pavel Stehule
Сообщение: Re: Big number of connections