Re: Subquery Factoring ?

От Adam Rich
Тема Re: Subquery Factoring ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Gregory,

> Are you using it just to avoid retyping a complex subquery? Or do you
> expect
> that the feature will reduce the execution time by avoiding re-
> executing the
> subquery for each call site in the query?

The only situation where I rely on this currently is when my main/outer
query references or executes an expensive subquery multiple times.
The main goal is to speed the whole thing up by only executing the
subquery once, but making the query shorter and easier to read is
a nice side effect.

> How disappointing would it be if the WITH clause acted as an
> optimization
> barrier, preventing WHERE clauses from being pushed down and
> potentially using indexes?

Do you mean that WHERE clauses in the main/outer query are not used to
optimize the subquery?  This would be a great feature down the road,
but I would be quite happy without it.

> Or if the query ended up not needing the data in the WITH
> subquery but the query had to execute it anyways?

Hmmm...  I would expect the query be executed once, regardless.
Indeed, I would think that executing it more than once would produce
strange results.  I'm counting on all references to the subquery to
contain the same data.

> Another way of looking at this question is: if you called some volatile
> function from the subquery such as one which printed diagnostic
> messages or
> accessed some remote service, how many times would you expect it to be
> called?
> Would you expect the feature to guarantee that the function would only
> be
> called once or would it be ok if it were called 0 times if the subquery
> data
> was never needed or many times if the optimizer thought that would be
> faster?

I would expect it to be called exactly once.

I think that logically, I expect "WITH" to work as shorthand for creating
a temporary table, filling it with my subquery, and then executing the
rest of the main/outer query.  (As opposed to creating a temporary view)

Adam

От: "Kurt Schroeder"
Сообщение: Re: Fossology Install & Config Issues...
От: Hervé Piedvache
Сообщение: Re: Kernel kills postgres process - help need