Re: [HACKERS] Logical replication and multimaster

От Jon Erdman
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Logical replication and multimaster
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Well,

Given my earlier message about Apple wanting to pay me for writing
patches now, maybe I can revisit this idea.

For background: I brought up the idea of an FDW that could read custom
dump files and expose them as tables so that you could grab just a
single record (or of course more) from a custom dump file without having
to load the whole thing up, if you were stuck reaching into a backup to
get at accidentally deleted tables, rows, etc.. The stopper, which was
communicated to me by Tom at the following pgcon was that the code for
parsing custom dumps is duplicated in pg_dump only, and would need to be
duplicated into the server for the FDW, or broken out into a library.

And for posterity, Dave Page said that was a stupid idea, while Magnus
said that it sounded useful. And IIRC Bruce and Robert H said it was
doable, just a good deal of work on the refactor needed.

This convo went down at the Amsterdam conf where I spoke about using
writeable LVM snapshots to expose each developer a copy of prod to
noodle on, without having to actually make a full copy for each dev.

Added trivia: I gave the talk with a can of Heineken in my hand at the
podium, and my lightning talk had the work F(&king Cool in the title ;)

That was also when I bought my plush Slony which was supposedly the very
last one. (turns out they made more)
--
Jon Erdman (aka StuckMojo)
     PostgreSQL Zealot

От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: Add a new BGWORKER_BYPASS_ROLELOGINCHECK flag
От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: Making aggregate deserialization (and WAL receive) functions slightly faster