Performance in searchig data using "like"

От Jorge Sarmiento
Тема Performance in searchig data using "like"
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello everybody!

I have postgreslq 7.1 running on a 1 Ghz Intel Box, with 2 H.D. SCSI 10000
RPM connected in a DPT SCSI card with 40 MB cache RAM, 256 Mb RAM and a Intel
Mainboard.

I have a 2.5 million rows database, and when I do a search using "like" it
tooks about a minute to give me a result.

What can I do to speed up the answer? reestructurating it is not an option
due the kind of data we have... more ram will help? using any kind of index?

every suggestion will be welcome...

Thanks everybody for your time and support!

Greetings from Lima - Peru!

Jorge Luis Sarmiento
System Administrator
Lima's Chamber of Commerce