Re: Postgresql & Python 2

От Lamar Owen
Тема Re: Postgresql & Python 2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Friday 13 July 2001 12:20, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Keith F Irwin writes:
> > But redhat 7.1 comes stock with python 1.5.2.  For various reasons, I've
> > upgraded to Python 2.1, which DOESN'T replace python 1.5, but, rather,
> > installs the new version along side.  In other words:

> >     /usr/lib/python1.5
> >     /usr/lib/python2

> This is a bug in the RPM packages, which our maintainer has evidently
> neglected to fix.

:-/

Reread the spec file.  The version of python that answers to the command
'python' will indeed be handled correctly while rebuilding the source RPM.
This was fixed a while back.  Although I could improve the finding of the
path to python instead of hardcoding that.

However, note that the _default_shipped_Red_Hat-7.1_ doesn't have python 2.x
installed by default -- the python2 packages on Powertools does that.  I
build binaries for the default _Red_Hat_-7.1_ only.  Incidentally, Mandrake
8.0 ships with Python 2.x -- and the source RPM rebuilds fine there (thanks
to Justin Clift).  The SOURCE RPM can handle any single python version that's
installed.  Yes, _single_ -- there are way too many customizations that are
possible to make it worthwhile to support multiple versions installed .

So, to answer Keith's question -- if you want Python 2 modules, you will
either need to do what Trond suggested (editing %pyver and hardcoding its
definition to '2.0' (or 2.1)), or making sure the command 'python' points to
python2.  Or edit the pyver definition line to use python2 by default.

Is there a need for a whole separate binary RPM for Python 2 clients?

But I will reiterate that the prebuilt binary RPMs are built for _stock_
RedHat (and hopefully the systems used to build the non-RedHat binaries are
stock, as well).
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio