RE: [SQL] convert text to varchar

От JT Kirkpatrick
Тема RE: [SQL] convert text to varchar
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
it tells me that the types aren't the same if i do this.  well, now that i
typed that i tried it again, and it worked. . .  the first time i tried it,
(the two tables have the same field names and types with the exception of
this one field), i typed [insert into ap select * from ap3;] -- and it said
that the types were not the same.  but just now i typed [insert into ap (.
. .all field names listed individually. . .) select {all field names listed
individually in the same order} from ap3], and it worked.  must be some
limitation in the "select *" use. . .

thanks very much!  oh by the way, i haven't seen a camel in at least 12
years either! (except on that perl book -- or is that a llama?).  i briefly
looked at that site you recommended -- i think i could spend a while their
later.

-----Original Message-----
From:    Herouth Maoz [SMTP:herouth@oumail.openu.ac.il]
Sent:    Monday, May 03, 1999 12:02 PM
To:    JT Kirkpatrick; 'pgsql-sql@hub.org'
Subject:    Re: [SQL] convert text to varchar

At 18:33 +0300 on 03/05/1999, JT Kirkpatrick wrote:

> hi!  i have a text field (table ap3, field name apnote) that i would like
> to insert into a varchar field (same field name, table name ap).  any
idea
> why this doesn't work?  insert into ap (apnote) select varchar('apnote')
> from ap3; -- it fails with or without the single quotes.

Should be simply

INSERT INTO ap (apnote)
SELECT ap3.apnote
FROM ap3;

You really shouldn't have single quotes, and the conversion to text is
supposed to be automatic.

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.
http://telem.openu.ac.il/~herutma

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: "Ross J. Reedstrom"
Сообщение: pg_dump bug (was Re: [SQL] Slow Inserts Again)
От: "Rudy Gireyev"
Сообщение: Re: [SQL] Slow Inserts Again