Re: max_connections limit violation not showing in pg_stat_activity

От Charles Clavadetscher
Тема Re: max_connections limit violation not showing in pg_stat_activity
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello Kevin

Thank you very much for your input. I appreciate it very much.

Yes. Actually it is foreseen to move to 9.6 (and RedHat 7.x).

> https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/
>
> > Among other thing the database is the backend for a web application
> > that expects a load of a some hundred users at a time (those are
> > participans to online surveys that we use for computing economic
> > indicators and access the system every month). The whole amount of
> > people expected is above 5000, but we don't expect a too high
> > concurrent access to the database. As mentioned a few hundreds at the beginning of the surveys.
> >
> > To be sure that we won't have problems with the peak times we created
> > a load test using gatling that ramps up to 1000 users in 5 minutes in
> > bunches of 10. At the beginning we had problems with the web server
> > response that we were able to correct. Now we face problem with the
> > max_connections limit of PostgreSQL. Currently it is set to the
> > default of 100. We are going to look into it and either increase that
> > limit or consider connections pooling.
>
> On a web site with about 3000 active users, I found (through adjusting the connection pool size on the production
> database and monitoring performance) that we got best performance with a pool of about 40 connections.  This was on
> a machine with 16 cores (never count HT "threads" as cores), 512GB RAM, and a RAID with 40 drives of spinning rust.

OK. I will have to check with our hosting people how many cores we have or can have on the new environment.
I have seen that there is pgBouncer and pgPool. Would you recommend one of those? AFAICS both are installed on the
clientside, so that we should be able to use them.

> http://tbeitr.blogspot.com/2015/11/for-better-service-please-take-number.html
>
> > What bothers me however is that running a query on pg_stat_activity
> > with a watch of 1 seconds never shows any value higher than 37 of
> > concurrent active connections.
> >
> > SELECT count(*) FROM pg_stat_activity; watch 1;
>
> At the times when the resources are overloaded by more connections than the resources can efficiently service --
> well that's precisely the time that a sleeping "monitoring" process is least likely to be given a time slice to run.
> If you can manage to get pgbadger to run on your environment, and you turn on logging of connections and
> disconnections, you will be able to get far more accurate information.

Yes, it sounds reasonable. I assumed that this kind of measurements have a higher priority or reserved slots for them.
Inthose occasions is when they are most needed.

And thank you for the hint to pgbadger. I will take a look into it, but an installation on the server completely
dependson our hosting service people. I am not sure this is feasible, but I can imagine an alternative scenario, using
alocal installation for tuning and then pass the parameters to the hosters for implementation. Might help.

Regards
Charles

От: Albe Laurenz
Сообщение: Re: min/max_wal_size
От: Poul Kristensen
Сообщение: Re: Postgresql 9.5 and Shell scripts/variables vs. C programming/defining a value to be used