Re: Trigger bug ?

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Trigger bug ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 5/22/19 3:21 PM, PegoraroF10 wrote:
> sorry, I wasn´t clear, when I sad returning Null I tried to say that new.PK
> was Null, not the function result > Try to create exactly what I sent you and you´ll see null values on
that pk.

Yes because FOR EACH STATEMENT may deal with multiple rows, so it is
undefined what NEW.pk is referring to.

More below.

> And that occurs just because that trigger was created without EACH
> ROW/STATEMENT.
> So, my question is, PG should return an error and not create that trigger
> because ROW/STATEMENT was not specified, correct ?

It was implicitly specified. Per the docs it will be FOR EACH STATEMENT
by default in the absence of user input.

If you just need the new PK why not?:

INSERT INTO some_table ... RETURNING pk;

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com