Re: PostgresSQL and HIPAA compliance

От Mike Sofen
Тема Re: PostgresSQL and HIPAA compliance
Дата
Список pgsql-general
-----Original Message-----
From: Alex John
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2016 3:04 AM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] PostgresSQL and HIPAA compliance

Hello, I have a few questions regarding the use of PostgreSQL and HIPAA
compliance. I work for a company that plans on storing protected health
information (PHI) on our servers. We have looked at various solutions for
doing so, and RDS is a prime candidate except for the fact that they have
explicitly stated that the Postgres engine is *not* HIPAA compliant.

Users on the IRC channel generally say that the guidelines are more catered
towards building better firewalls and a sane access policy, but I would like
to know if there is anything within the implementation of Postgres itself
that violates said compliance.

If anyone works at a similar company and utilizes postgresql to store PHI,
please let me know.

Thank you,
      Alex

HIPAA compliance does not specify (ever) the technical solution to meet the
requirements, so ANY datastore that can be properly managed within the
context of HIPAA compliance is legal and allowed.  Ignore IRCs and search on
securing PHI on relational databases, you'll find lots of details around
data access roles, documentation, processes, data obfuscation, etc.

Mike

От: Paul Jungwirth
Сообщение: Re: PostgresSQL and HIPAA compliance
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Regression in query optimizer when upgrading from 9.4.5 to 9.5.2?