Re: Force re-compression with lz4

От Ron
Тема Re: Force re-compression with lz4
Дата
Re: Force re-compression with lz4  (Florents Tselai <florents.tselai@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On 10/17/21 10:12 AM, Florents Tselai wrote:
Hello,

I have a table storing mostly text data (40M+ rows) that has pg_total_relation_size ~670GB.
I’ve just upgraded to postgres 14 and I’m now eager to try the new LZ4 compression.

I’ve altered the column to use the new lz4 compression, but that only applies to new rows.

What’s the recommended way of triggering the re-evaluation for pre-existing rows?

I tried wrapping a function like the following, but apparently each old record retains the compression applied.
text_corpus=(SELECT t.text from ...);

delete from t where id=;

insert into t(id, text) values (id, text_corpus);

Because it's all in one transaction?

Fttb, I resorted to preparing an external shell script to execute against the db but that’s too slow as it moves data in&out the db.

Is there a smarter way to do this ?

Even with in-place compression, you've got to read the uncompressed data.

Does your shell script process one record at a time?  Maybe do ranges:
COPY (SELECT * FROM t WHERE id BETWEEN x AND y) TO '/some/file.csv';
DELETE FROM t WHERE id BETWEEN x AND y;
COPY t FROM '/some/file.csv';

От: Florents Tselai
Сообщение: Force re-compression with lz4
От: Ron
Сообщение: Re: Force re-compression with lz4