Re: Schema Names

От Derrick Betts
Тема Re: Schema Names
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Answered my own question.  It is working as expected.  I had a PHP error that was releasing a session variable that caused the query to malfunction.

Derrick
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 9:59 PM
Subject: [NOVICE] Schema Names

In the public schema, when a table is created the table name does not get pre-pended by the schema name.  For example:
        CREATE TABLE new_table (column_name varchar);

    SELECT column_name FROM new_table;  This returns a result as expected.

However, if I create a new schema, it would seem that the only way to access a table within the new schema is to pre-pend the table name with the schema name:
    CREATE SCHEMA new_schema;
        CREATE TABLE new_table (column_name varchar);

    SET search_path TO new_schema;
    SELECT column_name FROM new_table;  This returns an error saying there is no such table as new_table.  What has happened is that when I created the new table the table name automatically became:  new_schema.new_table  Therefore the only way to query the new table is this way:
    SELECT column_name FROM new_schema.new_table;

Is there a way to "turn off" this automated behavior that pre-pends every table, etc. that is created with the schema name?  I am using pgAdmin III as the interface for creating the schemas.  I am also using version 8.1.  Is this a PostgreSQL behavior or a pgAdmin II behavior?

Thank you,
Derrick