Re: createuser --memeber and PG 16

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: createuser --memeber and PG 16
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 11.05.23 16:07, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, May 10, 2023 at 1:33 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>> This seems like it will be forever confusing to people.  I frankly don't
>> know why --role matching CREATE ROLE ... ROLE IN was not already
>> confusing in pre-PG 16.  Any new ideas for improvement?
>
> Yeah, it's a bad situation. I think --role is basically misnamed.
> Something like --add-to-group would have been clearer, but that also
> has the problem of being inconsistent with the SQL command. The whole
> ROLE vs. IN ROLE thing is inherently quite confusing, I think. It's
> very easy to get confused about which direction the membership arrows
> are pointing.

It's hard to tell that for the --member option as well.  For

createuser foo --member bar

it's not intuitive whether foo becomes a member of bar or bar becomes a
member of foo.  Maybe something more verbose like --member-of would help?

От: Stephen Frost
Сообщение: Re: Large files for relations
От: Pavel Stehule
Сообщение: Re: psql tests hangs