Re: Feature request: Truncate table

От Larry Rosenman
Тема Re: Feature request: Truncate table
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 14:32, Dann Corbit wrote:
> Deletion of data from a PostgreSQL table is very slow.
>
> It would be nice to have a very fast delete like "truncate table."
>
> Now, truncate is a very dangerous command because it is not logged (but
> the same is true for other operations like bulk copy and select into).
> So one needs to be careful how this command is granted.  The same damage
> (accidental deletion of all data) can be done by drop table just as
> easily.
>
> I frequently have to do this right now in PostgreSQL, but I simply
> emulate it by drop table/create table.
It's there:
$ psql
Welcome to psql, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

Type:  \copyright for distribution terms      \h for help with SQL commands      \? for help on internal slash commands
    \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query      \q to quit

ler=# select version();                              version
---------------------------------------------------------------------PostgreSQL 7.2.1 on i386-portbld-freebsd4.6,
compiledby GCC 2.95.3

(1 row)

ler=# \h truncate
Command:     TRUNCATE
Syntax:
TRUNCATE [ TABLE ] name

ler=#

От: "Dann Corbit"
Сообщение: Feature request: Truncate table
От: Billy O'Connor
Сообщение: Re: Feature request: Truncate table