Re: VACUUM on multi-CPU systems?

От Tycho Fruru
Тема Re: VACUUM on multi-CPU systems?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 16:14, Jeff Boes wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 12:04:23 -0400, Jeff Boes wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any thoughts on whether my database vacuum/full/analyze
> > might go faster on our 2-CPU system if I generated the VACUUM commands
> > into a script, e.g.,
> >
> >     psql -a <<EOF
> > \t
> > \o /tmp/db_maint.$$
> > select distinct on (relname) 'VACUUM FULL ANALYZE "' || relname || '";'
> > from pg_class
> > where relkind='r'
> > \g
> > \o
> > EOF
> >
> > (generates a script that looks like
> >
> >   VACUUM FULL ANALYZE table1;
> >   VACUUM FULL ANALYZE table2;
> >
> > etc.)
> >
> > and then started two psql sessions each processing half of the file?
>
> I didn't see any response to this, so I'll try just one more time and
> then shut up ...

I think that vacuum will be more rapidly disk-bound then CPU-bound.

So if you've got different spindles for your tables, go ahead and
perform multiple vacuum full's at the same time (even on a uniprocessor
machine)

The proof of the pudding is of course what you all know (and like !)
Tycho

--
Tycho Fruru                            tycho@fruru.com
"Prediction is extremely difficult. Especially about the future."

От: CoL
Сообщение: Re: I need PostgreSQL under Win 9x! Exists ?????????
От: "Gaetano Mendola"
Сообщение: fsync or fdatasync