Re: 7.4?

От Joe Tomcat
Тема Re: 7.4?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 07:08, Tom Lane wrote:
> Back when I was working for Great Bridge and got to spend a fair amount
> of time at trade shows talking to potential customers, the thing we
> heard over and over again was that people wanted multiple servers for
> reliability/redundancy.  That goal seems to me to be best served by a
> symmetric multi-master configuration, which is difficult if not
> impossible to do with async replication.

I'm glad to hear that PG is heading in that direction.  Think of it this
way: the entire reason we use databases instead of a mess of text files
is because of the benefits we get in terms of data consistency.  ACID
forms the foundation for a reliable service, whether it's financial
transactions or a chat room.  It is difficult or impossible to maintain
ACID in an async situation, I believe.

Sync is actually much more useful because it lets a business have a
cluster of servers without having to worry about what state things are
in.

От: Hadley Willan
Сообщение: Is renaming a database easy or dangerous
От: "scott.marlowe"
Сообщение: Re: index usage (and foreign keys/triggers)