Re: FAQ: missing answers

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: FAQ: missing answers
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 11:05, M. Bastin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to know 2 things that should be added to the FAQ:
>
>    How many tables can you create in a database?
>
>    How many databases can you create on a single PostgreSQL server?

I think that to both questions the answer is that there is no practical
limit within the database.  A table takes up some rows in system tables,
and it creates files on disk for its data and its indexes.  A database
creates a sub-directory containing its tables.  Since tables are able to
hold many millions of rows, I cannot imagine there could be any
practical limit there.

You will run out of inodes or disk space long before you run out of
database resources.

     "Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous
      man his thoughts; and let him return unto the LORD,
      and He will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for
      he will abundantly pardon."          Isaiah 55:7