Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Дата
Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)  (Vivek Khera <khera@kcilink.com>)
Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)  (Jonathan Bartlett <johnnyb@eskimo.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 20:28, Vivek Khera wrote:

> OE> But as far as Debian is concerned, paragraph 1 applies:
>
> OE> 1. Free use for those who are 100% GPL
>
> [[ ... ]]
>
> OE> That makes it free under the Debian Free Software Guidelines, so I have
> OE> no grounds for requesting its removal. :-(
>
> So if I build and sell an appliance (hardware+software) based on
> debian and using the 'free' collection of software, suddenly I'm not
> in compliance with their license.  Sounds like a time-bomb waiting to
> explode.

It's licensed under the GPL, which means that you can indeed sell it, SO
LONG AS you make your own source code available to your customer under
the GPL or a compatible licence.  Nothing in the GPL stops you demanding
money for the software; what it requires is that you make your source
code available.  It's whole purpose is to force the freeing of source
code; it is not much concerned with money.  For example, I remember
years ago installing a DG Aviion operating system upgrade, where I found
that the compiler was gcc, with the GPL prominently attached.  And every
embedded-Linux device is in the same situation.

MySQL's licence does not require you to buy a licence for _any_
commercial use, but only for commercial use where you do not release
your source code under a GPL-compatible licence.

There seems to be an awful lot of confusion about the GPL.  Maybe
Microsoft's campaign has been bearing fruit in unlikely quarters...

     "Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of
      God; for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither
      tempteth he any man; But every man is tempted, when he
      is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed."
                                       James 1:13,14

От: Joe Conway
Сообщение: Re: Cross database foreign key workaround?
От: Zitan Broth
Сообщение: Re: Assigning Values to Arrays