Re: error-free disabling of individual child partition

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: error-free disabling of individual child partition
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 09:49 +0200, Zeugswetter Andreas DCP SD wrote:
> > > table of another table. I propose a TODO item to allow this:
> > >
> > >     ALTER TABLE childN INHERITS ( parent1, ... );
>
> > > We don't need a disinherit do we?
>
> I propose: ALTER TABLE childN INHERITS ();
> Thus I also think, that the list should be complete, and is not an
> addition
> to existing inheritance.

Sounds good; an absolute rather than a relative approach. Avoids new
keywords.

Implementation is simpler too:
- check that we have all required merged attributes (if any)
- remove any inheritance that isn't on the list

If the table is already INHERITS (x) and we specify INHERITS (x) then
its a no-op that returns success.
> > O, yes, I think we do. I can imagine that the ability to swap a table
>
> Agreed. Simon, were you testing how many ppl read to the end :-)

Just seeing who cared. DROP TABLE removes inheritance too, in a Keyser
Soze manner.

--  Simon Riggs              EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com

От: "Zeugswetter Andreas DCP SD"
Сообщение: Re: error-free disabling of individual child partition
От: Hannu Krosing
Сообщение: Re: error-free disabling of individual child partition