Re: guid/uuid datatype

От Neil Conway
Тема Re: guid/uuid datatype
Список pgsql-patches
On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 00:17 +0100, Gevik Babakhani wrote:
> So.. do we agree for uuid to be included in the core?

I'd be curious to know the degree to which the proposed patch is
consistent with RFC 4122, which AFAIK is the most recent relevant
standard.

With regard to functions for generating UUIDs, I think we should at
least include the methods specified by RFC 4122 that can be implemented
without too many unportable assumptions. I believe that means MD5 & SHA1
hashing of an arbitrary identifier, and UUIDs generated via a PSRNG.

-Neil