Re: Inheritance and shared sequence

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: Inheritance and shared sequence
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 09:44 +0100, Richard Huxton wrote:
> Sebastjan Trepca wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > as I understood, when you create a table which inherits some other
> > table, the constraints and indexes do not go to the child table hence
> > you have to create a separate ones in there. That means you cannot
> > depend that you won't have duplicate IDs in both tables. Right?
> >
> > BUT...what if child table and parent table both use the same sequence
> > for the primary key. Would the duplication still be an issue?
>
> Well, if you *always* use the sequence you'll be OK (until you run out
> of numbers), but it won't stop you manually supplying your own values.

If you must keep the primary key unique across a set of tables, you need
to create another table to index the keys and record which table each
key is in.  Use triggers to keep the index table up to date.
   Do you want to know God?   http://www.lfix.co.uk/knowing_god.html

От: Jerry Sievers
Сообщение: Re: Join field values
От: Oliver Elphick
Сообщение: Re: Suppress checking of chmod 700 on data-dir?