Re: pg_standby observation

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: pg_standby observation
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 15:13 -0500, Erik Jones wrote:
> On Sep 13, 2007, at 3:02 PM, Jeff Davis wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 14:05 -0500, Erik Jones wrote:
> >> If you include the -d option pg_standby will emit logging info on
> >> stderr so you can tack on something like 2>> logpath/standby.log.
> >> What it is lacking, however, is timestamps in the output when it
> >> successfully recovers a WAL file.  Was there something more ou were
> >> looking for?
> >
> > I don't think the timestamps will be a problem, I can always pipe it
> > through something else.
> >
> > I think this will work, but it would be nice to have something
> > that's a
> > little more well-defined and standardized to determine whether some
> > kind
> > of error happens during replay.
>
> Right.  The problem there is that there really isn't anything
> standardized about pg_standby, yet.  Or, if it is, it hasn't been
> documented, yet.  Perhaps you could ask Simon about the possible
> outputs on error conditions so that you'll have a definite list to
> work with?

There's a few different kinds of errors pg_standby can generate, though
much of its behaviour depends upon the command line switches.

I wasn't planning on documenting all possible failure states. We don't
do that anywhere else in the docs.

Happy to consider any requests for change.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com