Re: Multiple customers sharing one database?

От Michael Glaesemann
Тема Re: Multiple customers sharing one database?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Jun 3, 2007, at 12:45 , Lew wrote:

> Michael Glaesemann wrote:
>
>> Unless the database schema is shared by the different customers,
>> I'd set up a separate database for each. There's better security
>> with separate databases, and since different customer's data would
>> never be combined, there's no advantage to putting them in the
>> same one. Per database overhead is probably going to be negligible
>> compared to the infrastructure you'd want to put in place for
>> security.
>
> I am always confused by the overloaded term "database" in such
> discussions. Do we mean the RDBMS engine, i.e., run separate
> instances of PG?  I sure would recommend against that.  Or do we
> mean it as the PG documentation does, e.g.,
> <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/ddl-schemas.html>

I likewise try to be careful in my usage of database and database
server as they are different things. I meant (and used) database, not
database server.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

От: Lew
Сообщение: Re: High-availability
От: Bill Moran
Сообщение: Re: collision in serial numbers after INSERT?