Re: UUID v7

От Sergey Prokhorenko
Тема Re: UUID v7
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Friday, 22 March 2024 at 04:58:59 pm GMT+3, Sergey Prokhorenko <sergeyprokhorenko@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

BTW: Each microservice should have its own database to ensure data isolation and independence, enabling better scalability and fault tolerance

Sergey Prokhorenko sergeyprokhorenko@yahoo.com.au

Why not use a single UUID generator for the database table in this case, similar to autoincrement?

On Friday, 22 March 2024 at 03:51:20 pm GMT+3, Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:

On 21.03.24 16:21, Jelte Fennema-Nio wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Mar 2024 at 19:08, Andrey M. Borodin <x4mmm@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
>> Timer-based bits contribute to global sortability. But the real timers we have are not even millisecond adjusted. We can hope for ~few ms variation in one datacenter or in presence of atomic clocks.
>
> I think the main benefit of using microseconds would not be
> sortability between servers, but sortability between backends.

There is that, and there are also multiple backend workers for one session.