Re: Parsing config files in a directory

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Parsing config files in a directory
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > Maybe SET PERSISTENT needs to go back to postgresql.conf, add an
> > automatic comment "# overridden in persistent.conf" and put a comment
> > marker in front of the original line.  That way the user is led to the
> > actual authoritative source.
>
> Doesn't that require the same AI-complete parsing ability we have said
> we don't want to implement?
>
> Personally I think this is just a matter of usage.  If you want to use
> SET PERSISTENT, don't set values manually in postgresql.conf.  How is
> that different from the existing rule that if you want to set values in
> postgresql.conf, you'd better not set them on the postmaster command
> line?
>
> > Fortunately we now have an easy way to find out which file is each
> > setting's value coming from.
>
> Yeah --- that feature should make it easy enough to debug any conflicts.
>
> I think we shouldn't overthink this.  The separate file with a clear
> warning to not edit it manually seems like a fine approach from here.

+1

This is a very usual thing to do. You just have a warning that says,

"THIS FILE IS AUTOGENERATED FROM .... SEE THE PERSISTANCE DOCS"

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
If the world pushes look it in the eye and GRR. Then push back harder. - Salamander

От: Greg Stark
Сообщение: Re: Parsing config files in a directory
От: "Jonah H. Harris"
Сообщение: Re: table corrupted