Re: RETURNING clause: how to specifiy column indexes?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: RETURNING clause: how to specifiy column indexes?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com> writes:
> I think the expectation is that:

> CREATE TABLE t(a int, b int);
> INSERT INTO t(b,a) VALUES (1,2) RETURNING *;

> will return 1,2 instead of 2,1 as it does now.

Hmm ... I see your point, but on what grounds could one argue that
a "*" targetlist here should return something different from what
"SELECT * FROM t" would return?

I'd say that an app that wants that should write

INSERT INTO t(b,a) VALUES (1,2) RETURNING b,a;

which is surely not that hard if you've got the code to produce
the "(b,a)" part.

In any case it's not clear this is the same thing Ken is complaining
about ...

От: luca.ciciriello@email.it
Сообщение: Re: POSIX and libpq
От: Samantha Atkins
Сообщение: Re: what is the date format in binary query results