Re: BUG #8211: Syntax error when creating index on expression

От David Johnston
Тема Re: BUG #8211: Syntax error when creating index on expression
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
bricklen wrote
> expression
>
> An expression based on one or more columns of the table. The expression
> usually must be written with surrounding parentheses, as shown in the
> syntax. However, the parentheses can be omitted if the expression has the
> form of a function call.

So in fact the example provided:

CREATE INDEX ON films ((lower(title)));

could be written as:

CREATE INDEX ON films (lower(title));

The example expression has yet one additional pair of "()" that are not
required per the syntax since lower(...) is a function call.  Extra "()"
never hurt I suppose...

I don't see this come up too often on the list but I will agree that it is
unexpected to require the extra set of "()".  An example using an actual
expression with the extra "()" and then the function call example without -
to explicitly show when/why they can be omitted in the examples as well as
in the text - is an idea worth considering.

David J.

От: geoff.montee@gmail.com
Сообщение: BUG #8212: Feature request: View original value of current_user in function with SECURITY DEFINER set
От: eric-postgresql@soroos.net
Сообщение: BUG #8213: Set-valued function error in union