Re: upgrade and migrate

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: upgrade and migrate
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> * Laurenz Albe (laurenz.albe@cybertec.at) wrote:
>> Right, Slony is the way to go, since pg_upgrade doesn't support 8.3.
>> I would upgrade to a version more recent than 9.6.

> So...  there's a bit of history here.  pg_upgrade in 9.4 actually does
> support upgrading from 8.3.X.  Support for upgrading from 8.3 was
> removed in 2209b3923a7afe0b6033ecfea972219df252ca8e.

Yeah.  Also note that 8.3 to 9.6-or-newer is going to be a pretty
huge jump in terms of minor compatibility issues (have you read
all the relevant release notes?).  So there's something to be said
for breaking this down into two steps: update to 9.4, test/fix
your applications against that, then make a second jump to something
current.  Each of those jumps could be handled by the respective
version of pg_upgrade.  I concur with Laurenz's advice that stopping
at 9.6 is probably not your best choice for a migration today.

От: Stephen Frost
Сообщение: Re: upgrade and migrate
От: Stephen Frost
Сообщение: Re: secure deletion of archived logs