Re: Postgres as In-Memory Database?

От rob stone
Тема Re: Postgres as In-Memory Database?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Sun, 2013-11-17 at 12:25 +0100, Stefan Keller wrote:
> How can Postgres be used and configured as an In-Memory Database?
>

> Does anybody know of thoughts or presentations about this "NoSQL
> feature" - beyond e.g. "Perspectives on NoSQL" from Gavin Roy at PGCon
> 2010)?
>

> Given, say 128 GB memory or more, and (read-mostly) data that fit's
> into this, what are the hints to optimize Postgres (postgresql.conf
> etc.)?
>

> -- Stefan

Not as being completely "in memory".
Back in the "good ol'days" of DMS II (written in Algol and ran on
Burroughs mainframes) and Linc II (also Burroughs) it was possible to
define certain tables as being memory resident. This was useful for low
volatile data such as salutations, street types, county or state codes,
time zones, preferred languages, etc.
It saved disk I/O twice. Firstly building your drop down lists and
secondly when the entered data hit the server and was validated.
It would be good to have a similar feature in PostgreSql.
If a table was altered by, say inserting a new street type, then the
data base engine has to refresh the cache. This is the only overhead.

Cheers,
Robert

От: Edson Richter
Сообщение: Re: Postgres as In-Memory Database?
От: Edson Richter
Сообщение: Re: Postgres as In-Memory Database?