Re: Nested loops overpriced

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Nested loops overpriced
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
> Am Mittwoch, 9. Mai 2007 19:40 schrieb Tom Lane:
>> Hmmm ... I see at least part of the problem, which is that email_header
>> is joined twice in this query, which means that it's counted twice in
>> figuring the total volume of pages competing for cache space. So the
>> thing thinks cache space is oversubscribed nearly 3X when in reality
>> the database is fully cached.

> I should add that other, similar queries in this database that do not
> involve joining the same table twice produce seemingly optimal plans.
> (It picks hash joins which are actually faster than nested loops.)

It strikes me that in a situation like this, where the same table is
being scanned twice by concurrent indexscans, we ought to amortize the
fetches across *both* scans rather than treating them independently;
so there are actually two different ways in which we're being too
pessimistic about the indexscanning cost.

Difficult to see how to fix that in the current planner design however;
since it's a bottom-up process, we have to cost the individual scans
without any knowledge of what approach will be chosen for other scans.

От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: Nested loops overpriced
От: Bill Moran
Сообщение: Re: [PERFORM] REVISIT specific query (not all) on Pg8 MUCH slowerthan Pg7