Re: HTTP user authentication against PostgreSQL

От David G Johnston
Тема Re: HTTP user authentication against PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Jeremy Palmer-2 wrote
> I'm setting up an apache server and was wondering if it is possible to
> setup HTTP user authentication against PostgreSQL authentication? I see
> http://www.giuseppetanzilli.it/mod_auth_pgsql2/, but that requires a
> custom username table. I want to be able to leverage the PostgreSQL
> Authentication system.

I am sure that code can be written that will do what you describe here - an
external program that uses psql to try and connect to the database and react
to the response would be sufficient, if not particularly performant.  I am
doubtful that it has already but there is a slim chance you might get a ping
here.

Personally, I would consider having both Apache and PostgreSQL talk to a
LDAP database if you really need to have a single point of identity
definition.

Doing what you describe here doesn't seem to me to be a good idea as
PostgreSQL has no provisions for making its internal catalogs usable in this
manner - or even at all outside of the libpq protocol - for security
reasons.  The internal user database for a system is seldom made accessible
for other applications that do not intend to make use of the actual service
that system is providing.

I'm not apt to have any other useful suggestions but describing why you want
to do this thing may encourage others to suggest additional alternatives.

David J.

От: Jeremy Palmer
Сообщение: HTTP user authentication against PostgreSQL
От: Jeremy Palmer
Сообщение: Re: HTTP user authentication against PostgreSQL