Re: Better alternative for Primary Key then serial??

От pilzner
Тема Re: Better alternative for Primary Key then serial??
Дата
Re: Better alternative for Primary Key then serial??
Список pgsql-general

Alvaro Herrera-3 wrote:

> Just do not update the ID -- what use do you have for that
> anyway?  If you want to prevent it, you can put a trigger to the column,
> but IMHO it would be a waste of your time and machine resources.

I have absolutely no use to update the ID. I'm not sure why anyone ever
would, and I guess I was a little shocked to find that PostGres even allows
it.

In MSSQL, an identity() is used instead of a serial, and once in place that
sucker is pretty much set in stone without a little know-how (it won't
happen by accident). I'm definitely not here for a "my way is better because
thats what I'm familiar with" discussion, just to get a feel of why its done
that way, if I'm doing anything wrong, or if there is an accepted way to
lock it down.

От: Richard Huxton
Сообщение: Re: Altering field passed as parameter to plpgsql trigger
От: Steve Crawford
Сообщение: Re: Altering field passed as parameter to plpgsql trigger