Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time?

От Bret Stern
Тема Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 2016-01-05 at 22:41 -0600, Jim Nasby wrote:
On 1/5/16 10:03 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 1/5/2016 5:31 PM, Jim Nasby wrote:
>> IMHO, the real problem here is not simply a CoC, it is that the
>> Postgres community doesn't focus on developing the community itself.
>> The closest we come to "focus" is occasional talk on -hackers about
>> how we need more developers. There is no formal
>> discussion/leadership/coordination towards actively building and
>> strengthening our community. Until that changes, I fear we will always
>> have a lack of developers. More importantly, we will continue to lack
>> all the other ways that people could contribute beyond writing code.
>> IE: the talk shouldn't be about needing more developers, it should be
>> about needing people who want to contribute time to growing the
>> community.
>

> That sounds like a bunch of modern marketing graduate mumbojumbo to
> me.    The postgres community are the people who actually support it on
> the email lists and IRC, as well as the core development teams, and
> INMO, they are quite strong and effective.     when you start talking
> about social marketing and facebook and twitter and stuff, thats just a
> bunch of feelgood smoke and mirrors.    The project's output is what
> supports it, not having people going out 'growing community', that is
> just a bunch of hot air.   you actively 'grow community' when you're
> pushing worthless products (soda pop, etc) based on slick marketing
> plans rather than actually selling something useful.

Then why is it that there is almost no contribution to the community
other than code and mailing list discussion?

Why is the infrastructure team composed entirely of highly experienced
code contributors, of which there are ~200 on the planet, when there are
literally 100s of thousands (if not millions) of people out there that
could do that work (and could probably do it better if it's what they do
for a living, no offense to the efforts of the infrastructure team).

Why is there a lack of developers? And a serious lack of code reviewers?

As long as I've participated in the list, I've had access to the very best conversations
and technical discussions from my fellow decorated contributors.

The coc sounds like a Washington politics play, but as long as the best still engage
in this forum, I could care less. The list serves its purpose without overhead...a rare
resource in today's flood of incoherent technical chatter.

Happy New Year!
Bret Stern
President
Machine Management

От: Tony Theodore
Сообщение: Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time?
От: Roxanne Reid-Bennett
Сообщение: Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time?