Re: Inlining comparators as a performance optimisation

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Inlining comparators as a performance optimisation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 5:20 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think that we should really consider doing with this patch what Tom
>> suggested upthread; namely, looking for a mechanism to allow
>> individual datatypes to offer up a comparator function that doesn't
>> require bouncing through FunctionCall2Coll().

> I don't think its credible to implement that kind of generic
> improvement at this stage of the release cycle.

Er, *what*?  We're in mid development cycle, we are nowhere near
release.  When exactly would you have us make major changes?

In any case, what I understood Robert to be proposing was an add-on
feature that could be implemented in one datatype at a time.  Not
a global flag day.  We couldn't really do the latter anyway without
making life very unpleasant for authors of extension datatypes.