Re: clients and libs and versions (oh my)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: clients and libs and versions (oh my)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com> writes:
> When version mismatches between the client and server are inevitable,
> what is less likely to get me into trouble - clients/libs newer than
> server or server newer than clients/libs?

For the most part I'd update the server first; the exception is that
you'd better be running a pg_dump at least as new as the server.

Also, psql's \d commands are pretty version-specific and frequently fail
if the server is either up-rev or down-rev.

Whichever order you do it in (and most of the time it's probably not
that critical), I'd try to avoid really serious gaps in versions.
7.3 client against 8.1 server, or vice versa, is likely to be a
headache.  We do try to maintain cross-version compatibility, but
over more than a couple of releases the gotchas will accumulate.

От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: Does DROP TABLE free up disk space immediately?
От: Michael Fuhr
Сообщение: Re: Accessing Database Data from C Function