Re: Text-indexing UTF-8 bytea, convert_from() immutability, null bytes...

От Phil Endecott
Тема Re: Text-indexing UTF-8 bytea, convert_from() immutability, null bytes...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your great reply.

Andrew Gierth wrote:
>  Phil> As a hack I tried ALTER FUNCTION to make it immutable,
>
> A better approach is to wrap it in a function of your own which is
> declared immutable, rather than hacking the catalogs:
>
> create function from_utf8(bytea) returns text language plpgsql immutable
>   as $$ begin return convert_from($1, 'UTF8'); end; $$;

Thanks.  I'm a bit surprised that it will allow me to declare a
function immutable if it calls functions that aren't themselves
immutable, but if it works... great.

>  Phil> Anyway: given the problem of creating a text search index over
>  Phil> bytea data that contains UTF-8 text, which may include oddities
>  Phil> like null bytes, what would you do?
>
> You can search for 0x00 in a bytea using position() or LIKE. What do you
> want to do with values that contain null bytes? or values which you
> think are supposed to be valid utf8 text but are not?

As long as it doesn't crash I don't really care; it would be better
if the text search worked for the valid parts of the text but even
that isn't essential.

I think I will probably need to do some more preprocessing on the
data when I load it, at least to remove the null bytes.

Regards, Phil.

От: Andrew Gierth
Сообщение: Re: Text-indexing UTF-8 bytea, convert_from() immutability, null bytes...
От: "Phil Endecott"
Сообщение: RE: Why the index is not used ?