Re: Why does pg_bsd_indent need to be installed?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Why does pg_bsd_indent need to be installed?
Дата
Re: Why does pg_bsd_indent need to be installed?  (Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 2023-05-25 09:09:45 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> writes:
>>> Why does pgindent require that pg_bsd_indent be installed in the path?

> Isn't the situation actually *easier* in VPATH builds? There's no build
> artifacts in the source tree, so you can just invoke the pg_bsd_indent built
> in the build directory against the source tree, without any problems?

Well, if you know where the build directory is, sure.  But any way you
slice it there is an extra bit of knowledge required.  Since pg_bsd_indent
changes so seldom, keeping it in your PATH is at least as easy as any
other solution, IMO.

Another reason why I like to do it that way is that it supports running
pgindent on files that aren't in the source tree at all, which suits
some old habits of mine.

But, as I said before, I'm open to adding support for other scenarios
as long as we don't remove that one.

От: Jacob Champion
Сообщение: Re: Docs: Encourage strong server verification with SCRAM
От: Stephen Frost
Сообщение: Re: Large files for relations