Re: Compression and on-disk sorting

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Compression and on-disk sorting
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> Andrew Piskorski <atp@piskorski.com> writes:
>> A corrolary of that is forget compression schemes like gzip - it
>> reduces data size nicely but is far too slow on the cpu to be
>> particularly useful in improving overall throughput rates.

> There are some very fast decompression algorithms:

AFAICS the only sane choice here is to use
src/backend/utils/adt/pg_lzcompress.c, on the grounds that (1) it's
already in the backend, and (2) data compression in general is such a
minefield of patents that we'd be foolish to expose ourselves in more
than one direction.

Certainly, if you can't prototype a convincing performance win using
that algorithm, it's unlikely to be worth anyone's time to look harder.

От: David Wheeler
Сообщение: Re: PL/pgSQL 'i = i + 1' Syntax
От: "Jaime Casanova"
Сообщение: Re: PL/pgSQL 'i = i + 1' Syntax