Re: Promotion of standby to master

От Ben Chobot
Тема Re: Promotion of standby to master
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Jun 29, 2012, at 12:16 PM, Andy Chambers wrote:

> I understand that it's possible to promote a "hot standby" pg server
> simply by creating the failover file.  In a scenario where there are
> multiple standby servers, is it possible to point the other standby
> servers to the new master without creating a new base backup?
>
> When I tried to do this, I ran into the "timeline 2 of the primary
> does not match recovery target timeline 1".  I'm just trying to figure
> out if that's because the procedure I followed to promote the standby
> was wrong or because it's just not possible.

On your slaves, you need to have the line:

recovery_target_timeline=latest

This allows the slaves to notice that a new timeline has started and move to it. The one gotcha is that you have to
makesure to promote a slave which is most ahead in terms of replication; otherwise, if you promote a slave which is
furtherbehind than another slave, and that could cause you grief when the lagging slave tries to replicate from the new
master.

От: Ben Madin
Сообщение: Re: Catalog Bloat in Development - Frequently dropping/adding schemas and objects
От: Misa Simic
Сообщение: Re: LEFT and RIGHT JOIN