Re: TIMESTAMP WITH( OUT)? TIME ZONE indexing/type choice...

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: TIMESTAMP WITH( OUT)? TIME ZONE indexing/type choice...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org> writes:
> What's the point of indexing a column with TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE?
> More to the point, why aren't all timestamp formats stored as
> TIMESTAMP WITHOUT TIME ZONE and then converted to WITHOUT at parse
> time?

Those are two different types, with different behaviors.  We're not
about to eliminate a hard-won distinction that's required by the spec.

Also, although the on-disk format of the two types might be the same,
that doesn't mean they have the same interpretation of a given byte
value. They don't (unless you run your database with TimeZone = GMT).