Section 9.7.3.2. Bracket Expressions should be rewritten

От PG Doc comments form
Тема Section 9.7.3.2. Bracket Expressions should be rewritten
Дата
Список pgsql-docs

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/functions-matching.html

I am a Postgres newbie, and I find this part of what is generally excellent
documentation quite confusing. It contains the following disclaimer:

Note
PostgreSQL currently does not support multi-character collating elements.
This information describes possible future behavior.

I am very skeptical of the idea of documentation describing "possible future
behavior." Unless carefully done, this is guaranteed to cause confusion to
newbies such as myself. In this case, it is very unclear as to what the
disclaimer refers to. Is it referring to the previous 3 paragraphs, the
following 3 paragraphs, some subset of those paragraphs, or the entire
section? If reference to possible future behavior is deemed absolutely
necessary, then IMHO that portion of the docs should be blockquoted and
clearly marked as being forward-looking and not part of present behavior.

Furthermore, it appears that this disclaimer has been part of the docs since
at least version 10, so it's not even clear that this feature is even
currently being seriously considered for implementation.

От: PG Doc comments form
Сообщение: Server start with systemd and configured with IP address
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Server start with systemd and configured with IP address