Re: Big table and partition

От JP Pozzi
Тема Re: Big table and partition
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hello,

Partitionning is not so simple, it is better to have a key (or part of key)  or a date to make
useful partitionning decision.
If you want to suppress (or archive and suppress) some data it is simple to "drop" a whole
partition. Also if the partitionning key (or part ok key) is in most queries it is a good solution
for better performance.

Regards

JP P

De: "Ron" <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com>
À: "pgsql-admin" <pgsql-admin@lists.postgresql.org>
Envoyé: Dimanche 15 Octobre 2023 23:03:49
Objet: Re: Big table and partition

On 10/15/23 15:46, Rajesh Kumar wrote:
The columns are id, blocknumber and jsondata.

No date column?

How much json data?

I have not been told anything ABT data retention and I will ask them.

Problem I am trying to resolve is, 30gb is big

Big is relative.  30GB in 2023 is pretty darned small.

and it will be every growing always. By doing this, i am making the scan easier (despite having indexes).

 Growth will be 10gb per year data.

That's less than a gigabyte per month.

Incase I am doing partition, Plz provide any script that does partitioning automatically. We are using postgres version 15.

Keep It Simple, Stanley and just DELETE WHERE id < nnnnnnn;.  Do that every month.

On Sun, 15 Oct, 2023, 8:07 PM Christophe Courtois, <christophe.courtois@dalibo.com> wrote:
Hi,

Le 14/10/2023 à 22:46, Rajesh Kumar a écrit :
> In my env, I have a table 30GB where data is getting inserted directly
> whenever the new block is created in block chain...
> I have been asked to do partition, i said manager since we are not at
> all using the past data, partition is not required. Instead we can stop
> the sync (downtime not required), change the name of table , create a
> new table with same structure with original name and keep only tis month
> data. Then sync the blockchain so that new data will come to newly
> created table and old data will be there simply as a storage as we r not
> selecting any query from old data...

In fact, you want to do manual partitioning.
Why reinvent the wheel?

> Note: on a longer run, data will keep on coming in whenever new block is
> created.
> Is that right ? Any suggestions ? Better options ?

What problem do you have to solve? 30 GB is not so big, but since when
do you store data? Will you purge the table? What is the main access key
of your queries (critical for the partitioning key)?

Without other information I'd say that if you never read the former
months again, partition by month, perhaps by year.

--
Christophe Courtois
Consultant DALIBO

--