Re: Ordinal value of row within set returned by a query?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Ordinal value of row within set returned by a query?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Randall Lucas <rlucas@tercent.net> writes:
> I'm puzzling over whether it is possible within SQL alone to determine
> the ordinal position of a row within the set returned by a query.  It
> seems clear to me that pgsql "knows" what position in a set a
> particular tuple holds, since one can OFFSET, ORDER BY, and LIMIT;
> however, I can't seem to find a function or "hidden field" that will
> return this.

That's because there isn't one.

The traditional hack for this has been along the lines of
create temp sequence foo;
select nextval('foo'), * from(select ... whatever ... order by something) ss;
drop sequence foo;

which is illegal per the SQL spec (you can't ORDER BY in a subselect
according to spec), but it's the only way that you can do computation
after a sort pass.  In a single-level SELECT, ORDER BY happens after
the computation of the SELECT output values.

Usually it's a lot easier to plaster on the row numbers on the client
side, though.

> What I would like is something along these lines:  I wish to ORDER BY
> an ordinal field that is likely to be present, but may not be present,
> and then by a unique value to ensure stability of ordering.

Why don't you order by the ordinal field, then the table's primary key?
(If it hasn't got a primary key, maybe it should.)
        regards, tom lane

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: David Goodwin
Сообщение: Re: reversion? Recursion question
От: Randall Lucas
Сообщение: Re: Ordinal value of row within set returned by a query?