19.9. Secure TCP/IP Connections with SSL

От PG Doc comments form
Тема 19.9. Secure TCP/IP Connections with SSL
Дата
Список pgsql-docs

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/ssl-tcp.html

There is no mention of key lengths on the manual page about SSL/TLS
connections even though there are restrictions.  It probably depends on the
build which is why it's been omitted, but I think to help new people it
would be great to have a Note box that covers key lengths restrictions.  It
came up on reddit today and while the following is in the error log..

   FATAL:  could not load server certificate file
"/etc/postgresql/16/main/server.crt": ee key too small

It is amongst a chain of other messages and has a long line such that it
could be missed as it's truncated (though it should still have been spotted
of course).  Regardless, I like the idea of all the things you need to do/be
mindful of being in the manual.  It could be something like..

Note
Some builds of PostgreSQL specify a minimum key length for certificates to
enforce best-practices.  If the key you use is does not meet or exceed this
minimum length PostgreSQL will fail to start.  It's common practice to
require a key of at least length 2048.

От: PG Doc comments form
Сообщение: Discrepancy between the documentation and the implementation
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Discrepancy between the documentation and the implementation