Re: Pattern with backslash commands in psql terminal

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Pattern with backslash commands in psql terminal
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Rolf Unger <rolf.unger@ctilabs.de> writes:
> The internal docs say that I can specify an optional pattern after the
> \df or the \df+. And I think I read somewhere that the pattern is meant
> to be a regular expression.

No, it's more a shell-style pattern.  Use "*" and "?".  "." separates
schema and object name parts of the pattern.

> Are there some special delimiters required? It would be really a good
> thing to have at least a comment or a footnote with any one of the \d
> commands what kind of syntax is needed for the [PATTERN].

Did you read the material at the bottom of the backslash command list?

The various \d commands accept a pattern parameter to specify the object name(s) to be displayed. * means "any
sequence of characters" and ? means "any single character". (This notation is comparable to Unix shell file name
patterns.) Advanced users can also use regular-expression notations such as character classes, for example [0-9] to
match "any digit". To make any of these pattern-matching characters be interpreted literally, surround it with double
quotes.

A pattern that contains an (unquoted) dot is interpreted as a schema name pattern followed by an object name pattern.
For
example, \dt foo*.bar* displays all tables in schemas whose name starts with foo and whose table name starts with
bar. If no dot appears, then the pattern matches only objects that are visible in the current schema search path.

Whenever the pattern parameter is omitted completely, the \d commands display all objects that are visible in the
current schema search path. To see all objects in the database, use the pattern *.*.

От: Rolf Unger
Сообщение: Pattern with backslash commands in psql terminal
От: Rolf Unger
Сообщение: Re: Pattern with backslash commands in psql terminal