Re: RfD: more powerful "any" types

От decibel
Тема Re: RfD: more powerful "any" types
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sep 9, 2009, at 8:39 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Well, so far we've only seen use cases in this thread that either
>> already work or that are not well-defined. ;-)
>
> Well, yeah, the question is can we extract a clear TODO item here.
>
> I think there are two somewhat orthogonal issues:
>
> 1. Is a completely unconstrained argument type (ie "any") of any real
> use to PL functions, and if so how can we expose that usefulness?
> The only clear thing to do with such an argument is IS NULL/IS NOT
> NULL
> tests, which might or might not be worth the trouble.

Part of that should be providing a means to determine what the
underlying type of an "any" is. Having that would allow functions to
take actions appropriate to different types.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@decibel.org

От: "David E. Wheeler"
Сообщение: Re: RfD: more powerful "any" types
От: Maarten Foqué
Сообщение: corrupted double-linked list