Re: [RFC] Shouldn't we remove annoying FATAL messages from server log?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [RFC] Shouldn't we remove annoying FATAL messages from server log?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"MauMau" <maumau307@gmail.com> writes:
> I agree that #1-#3 are of course reasonable when there's any client the user
> runs.  The problem is that #1 (The database system is starting up) is output
> in the server log by pg_ctl.  In that case, there's no client the user is
> responsible for.  Why does a new DBA have to be worried about that FATAL
> message?  He didn't do anything wrong.

FATAL doesn't mean "the DBA did something wrong".  It means "we terminated
a client session".

The fundamental problem IMO is that you want to complicate the definition
of what these things mean as a substitute for DBAs learning something
about Postgres.  That seems like a fool's errand from here.  They're going
to have to learn what FATAL means sooner or later, and making it more
complicated just raises the height of that barrier.

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Why the buildfarm is all pink
От: "MauMau"
Сообщение: Re: [RFC] Shouldn't we remove annoying FATAL messages from server log?