Re: Path to PostgreSQL portabiliy

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Path to PostgreSQL portabiliy
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
mlw <markw@mohawksoft.com> writes:
> Port lib. Regardless where it comes from, the porting code should be a
> self contained library, not a list of objects. On Windows, a .DLL can
> do some things easier than an application. Also, having a library
> allows more flexibility as to how a port is designed.

That may be necessary on Windoze, but on any other platform breaking out
an essential part of the backend as a library strikes me as a dead loss.
You create extra risk of installation mistakes, can't-find-library
startup failures, version mismatch problems, etc, etc --- for zero gain
that I can see.

For comparison you may want to observe the opinion expressed some time
ago by Peter E. that we should fold plpgsql and the other PL's into
the backend, instead of having them as dynamic-linked libraries.

От: "Tille, Andreas"
Сообщение: Re: Cygwin / Debian dpkg / PostgreSQL / KDE2 and 3
От: Hannu Krosing
Сообщение: Re: How much work is a native Windows application?